Since ancient times, the region of Pella situated in northern Greece, was associated with wine making and described as " the mother of wine, where vines abound". The god of wine, wreathed in vine leaves in these extraordinary mosaics, seems to have found fertile, hallowed ground here in Pella. The region has always been host to great vineyard with a long tradition. It was here that the tragic poet Euripides wrote and staged his last play, Bacchae.
The Church of the Virgin Mary, the Panaghia at Yannitsa was built in 1861 using wine to mix the mortar, as the othoman governor had forbidden the use of water for building the church. It was to this region that the French army, camped by the Galikos River in the early 20th century, came in search of quality wine. Grape diseases (phyloxera) and other factors, such as the drainage of the nearby lake, unfortunately made farmers turn to other crops. Yet, the know-how and love inspired by vineyards in this land for thousands of years were far from forgotten.
Having studied oenology in France, Thomas Ligas began, in 1985, to study the local ecosystems, exploring viticulture and vinification, and seeking to accentuate the distinctive qualities of this terroir.